Using the New Zealand Birds Online website
Please note that the intellectual property rights in all content comprising or contained within this website address (www.nzbirdsonline.org.nz) is owned by the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa (Te Papa), The Ornithological Society of New Zealand (Inc.), New Zealand Department of Conservation; or other copyright owners as specified.
Reproducing content from the New Zealand Birds Online website
The contents of this website are published for your enjoyment. You may freely access and store the majority of the website’s contents on a temporary basis for the purposes of personal or private viewing, interaction or listening.
The following uses of copyright content are also permitted, except where other terms apply:
- Reproducing copyright content, and copyright expired content, for the purposes of fair dealing including non-commercial research; private study; criticism and review; or for the purposes of teaching and instruction within a New Zealand educational establishment. Where any content is published, the author and source of the content must be identified with due acknowledgement and citation and any copyright statements of the content reproduced.
- Limited quotation of New Zealand Birds Online copyright texts or transcripts, for non-commercial research, private study, criticism and review, or use within an educational establishment, with due acknowledgement and citation. Where any text content is published, the author and/or source of the content must be identified and the copyright status of the content acknowledged.
- Reproducing New Zealand Birds Online copyright content for the purposes of an educational examination, by a recognised New Zealand exam authority.
- Downloading and printing of New Zealand Birds Online copyright content for non-commercial educational use.
- Embedding links to audio and video content, where embedding is offered.
- Embedding or loading any New Zealand Birds Online news feeds (RSS).
However, the following acts are not permitted in respect of any of the content featured on the New Zealand Birds Online website:
- Reproduction of website content for commercial purposes, or any rental, leasing or lending of content obtained or derived from the website.
- Any use of the logo, brand identities or trademarks of the website or website partners without prior consent.
- Any considerable public dissemination, display or hosting of website content via any third party platforms, including without limitation, the substantial or repeated extraction and/or storage of website content in any retrieval system, or inclusion in any other computer program or work.
- Reproduction of New Zealand Birds Online website content on any social media platforms, except where other terms allow.
- Inaccurate or distorted reproductions, colour treatments, alterations or adaptations of website content, except where other terms allow.
- Publication of any unauthorised translations or transcriptions of website content, except where other terms allow.
- False attribution of authorial or copyright credits, and the removal of any metadata from digital file formats.
- Unauthorised text/data mining of website content and metadata.
Sourcing Content from the NZ Birds Online website
To license, purchase and download high-resolution digital files for commercial use please use the online Contact Us enquiry form.
Please note that the further reproduction of any other images, sound files, text or content, made available by New Zealand Birds Online may constitute an infringement of copyright. It is therefore your responsibility to investigate and obtain permission from copyright holders or their agents before publishing such content.
New Zealand Birds Online is committed to respecting the intellectual property rights of others. We have therefore taken reasonable efforts to ensure that the reproduction of all content on the pages of the New Zealand Birds Online website and other digital publications (including, but not restricted to, images, text and sound files) is done with the full consent of copyright owners.
If you are a rights holder and are concerned that you have found material on this website for which you have not granted permission (or is not covered by a copyright exception under the New Zealand Copyright Act 1994) please contact New Zealand Birds Online using the online Contact Us enquiry form stating the following:
- Your contact details
- The full details of the material’s creator
- The exact and full web address (URL) for the page where you found the material
- Proof that you are the rights holder and a statement that you are the rights holder or are an authorised representative.